Friday 11 December 2009

Free Recipe Friday - Coconut Joys and Easy Sweet & Spicy Ornaments

Well, it is that time of the week again.  Free Recipe Friday.  Christmas is just around the corner so if your life is anything like mine it is getting pretty busy.  Today, I thought I would help you out with this super quick cookie recipe and a very easy ornament recipe that will keep the kids busy so you can get some extra Christmas prep done in peace.  I adapted these from ideas that I found on the internet.   Another bonus is that these do not require the oven!

Sweet & Spicy Ornaments
This recipe is great.  I left it with my kids and they worked together to do it all by themselves with some friends that they had over.  I bought my cinnamon and the sparkle stars at the dollar store to make them very cost effective.  these would be a great addition to your gift tags on presents.

1cup cinnamon
1 tablespoon cloves
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1/2 cup applesauce
2-3 tablespoons sparkle stars
3 tablespoons white glue

Combine ingredients, roll out as a dough and cut with cookie cutters.  Use a straw to make a hole for the ribbon to hang.  Dry for three to four days, turning regularly.  Use a ribbon or string to hang on the tree.  They make the whole room smell like Christmas!

Coconut Joys














This cookie recipe is so fast that I was finished and cleaned up all within 20 minutes yesterday.  The best part is that our company loved them.  Actually, as you can see my husband loved them the most.  This recipe made two dozen cookies.  You could stretch it to make more as I used a generous teaspoon of the mixture when I shaped them into balls.


1/2 cup Butter
2 cups of Confectioner's Sugar
3 1/2 cups of Flaked Coconut
1 Tablespoon Milk
1/3 cup of Milk chocolate Chips, melted ( I used the microwave for 45 sec to melt them, be careful not to put them on for too long as chocolate burns easily)

Melt butter in suacepan.  Remove from heat.  Add sugar, coconut and milk.  Mix well.  Shape rounded teaspoon of mixture into balls.  Make a dent in the centre.  Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.


Fill the centre with the melted chocolate.  Chill until firm.  Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment