Thursday 3 December 2009

First Thursday of Advent - The Promise


  

 

 

 

 

 

We had a great conversation about all the stars in the sky today and how many there are in the universe.....God's promises are amazing.

Genesis 12:1-7 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Genesis 12

The Call of Abram
 1 The LORD said to Abram:
    Go out from your land,
    your relatives,
    and your father's house
    to the land that I will show you.  2 I will make you into a great nation,
    I will bless you,
    I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing. 
    3 I will bless those who bless you,
    I will curse those who treat you with contempt,
    and all the peoples on earth
    will be blessed through you. 
    4 So Abram went, as the LORD had told him, and Lot went with him. Abram was 75 years old when he left Haran.  5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated, and the people he had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan. When they came to the land of Canaan, 6 Abram passed through the land to the site of Shechem, at the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites were in the land. 7 But the LORD appeared to Abram and said, "I will give this land to your offspring." So he built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him.

Genesis 15:1-6 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Genesis 15

The Abrahamic Covenant
 1 After these events, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:    Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield;
    your reward will be very great.
    2 But Abram said, "Lord GOD, what can You give me, since I am childless and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?" 3 Abram continued, "Look, You have given me no offspring, so a slave born in my house will be my heir."
    4 Now the word of the LORD came to him: "This one will not be your heir; instead, one who comes from your own body will be your heir." 5 He took him outside and said, "Look at the sky and count the stars, if you are able to count them." Then He said to him, "Your offspring will be that [numerous]."
    6 Abram believed the LORD, and He credited it to him as righteousness.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment