Friday 12 November 2010

A Day to Remember

My friend Victoria sent me these photos of the day
Yesterday,  November 11th, was Remembrance Day.  For the first time since living in Milton we attended the legion's Remembrance Day Memorial Service, held at the Evergreen Cemetery near the centre of town.  As the kids and I walked towards the cenotaph, where they were holding the service, our thoughts were on our Poppa Les.  He was a pilot for a Lancaster bomber in the second world war.  He died a few years ago but even TJ misses his great smile and and his love and affection for them.

I spent most of my time explaining to TJ about the service, and making sure the kids could see, so when the ceremonies started I was not prepared for the emotions that flooded my heart.  As the veterans marched into the service and we sang "O Canada" I could feel the tears silently making their way down my cheeks.  As we sang and I watched the men and women who have served our country I was struck by the burden of emotional memories that they all must have to carry.  The memories of the loss of close friends and the sacrifices of having experienced courage, fear, death, life and best and the worst of humanity.  In the morning sunshine,  and as they sang our national anthem that burden was written all over their faces and I was undone.

I have always thought we should honour those that have served and continue to serve our country but yesterday I think my heart got a glimpse of the cost.  My head always knew that tremendous sacrifices have been given for our lives today in Canada but yesterday my heart knew it, and was broken by it.  Thank-you Poppa Les.  We will always remember.

LEST WE FORGET

They shall grow not old,
As we are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them , nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
"We will remember them."


No comments:

Post a Comment