I have been playing with recipes again. I made these for a friend who was looking for a quick, portable healthy breakfast that she could throw into her purse for when she was running out the door. She really liked them and thought it was fantastic that she could keep them individually wrapped in her freezer and then just toss it in her purse. Since that time I have made some more adjustments to the recipe to lessen their sugar content and now my kids think that they are great.
Makes 16 bars
2 Tablespoons of Peanut Oil (you could probably use another nut oil just as well)
2 1/2 cups Organic Pantry 9 Grain Cereal
1 cup dried Apricots chopped
1/2 cup of ground flax seed
1/2 cup of pecans coarsely chopped
1/4 Almonds (slivered or chopped and toasted)
3/4 cup of Organic Agave Syrup (you could also use honey)
3/4 cup of natural creamy peanut butter
1 Teaspoon of pure Vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use a 13 x 9 in baking dish. Line the bottom and two of the sides with parchment paper. Leave a 2 inch overhang on each side. This will help later when you want to cut the bars. Brush the paper with a little nut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cereal, apricots, flaxseed, pecans, almonds and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the agave nectar, peanut butter, the nut oil and the vanilla. Cook over medium heat until melted.
4. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, spread out mixture and smooth and press down with the back of a spoon.
6. Once cool cut into squares and then individually wrap and keep in your freezer or refrigerator. Also good at room temperature for up to 5 days.
**Note if you are having trouble finding the 9 Grain cereal and the Agave Syrup we find ours at The Supercentre or other health food sections of a grocery store.