Saturday 12 July 2008

Breathe

There are moments in your life when it takes everything you have just to continue to breathe. As I sat in the office of my son's pediatrician last week I had one of those moments. Life does that to you. One minute you are fine and then in an instant you are in the midst of full blown gale. A storm that is so huge you have no idea where you are. As the doctor repeated the words "We found a mass in Liam's brain. He needs to see neurosurgeon," it seemed as if all the air was sucked out of the room and walls around me began to spin out of control. I was trying desperately to concentrate on the words that the doctor was saying but I felt like the room had gone so cold that I could no longer get any air into my lungs. I have no idea if my prayer to Jesus was audible and I know that my mind could not have formed anything other than to call His name but I became conscious of His presence. The room was still spinning but a warmth was beginning to return. The thoughts just breathe started to run through my head. Just breathe. God knew this was coming. He was not surprised, or shocked, or out of control. He has got this. I need to just breathe. Scripture began to flood my heart and my lungs were able to expand. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14: 26-27

I don't think that there has ever been any other time other then when I first realized that Jesus is who He says He is, that I have ever been so thankful that God made a way through His Son back to himself. I also have never been so aware of the power of Jesus in contrast with absence of my own. As His peace began to sink in amongst the chaos in the room I felt it permeate my thoughts. His strength carried me to the door to open the handle and smile at my son in the waiting room. "Come on buddy." I heard my own voice say. "Let's go home."


In the week since this time, we have seen God's hand in many moments. Through my sister-in-law we were able to get into see a top pediatric neurosurgeon. We were able to get Liam in for an MRI a few days after that even though they told us it might be a month. Finally, the initial news from the neurosurgeon has been mostly positive. They think we found the mass accidentally and that they are not related to Liam 's migraines, there is no evidence of cancer or pressure on the brain from the mass and it is slow growing because it is calcified. All of these things have God's fingerprints all over them.

There has been so much to thank God for in the past week that I would have to use up several posts but he has been with us for every breath, every step and every moment. Liam knows about the mass and has nick named it "Tubby the tumor", he has been so excited to read about all of the people that are praying for him. We are printing out all of the prayers that come over email and putting them in a book to take to future appointments. We are praying for healing for Liam. There are several things that the mass could be. Some do not require surgery but some would require surgery which we have been told because of the location of the mass would be difficult.

If you would like to be on our email list for Liam updates just send me your email. If you are praying for Liam please let me know so we can put your name and message in his book.

Please join us in praying for Liam. Pray that all of our family would continue to trust in Jesus for all of our needs. Pray to Yahweh Rolfe (Yahweh our Healer) in the name of Jesus that Liam would be healed.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim & Jason

    I finally made it on your blog, wow love the story. liam is in good hands, because he is in God's hands how much more can you ask. Just a reminder, God can use anyone, anywhere. to glorify his name.

    God is using Liam to touch the staff at McMaster.

    Liam your going to be just fine, just hold on to Jesus' hand while your going through this and remember he will be will see you though.

    I pray for you daily.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sort of brain tumor is it? In 2004 my 6yr old son was diagnosed with a craniopharyngioma. It was also calcified and situated by the pituitary gland. It was removed and his pituitary gland. He is on hormone therapy now because his body can not produce them. The 1st yr he had to have an MRI every 3months. Then the tumor grew back at the end of the 1st yr. They removed it again and he had 6weeks of radiation. Once again back on every 3month MRI's then every 6months for 2yrs. We are now on the every 2 yr MRI schedule and are blessed to have him only have to take medicine every day. He is under the care of an Endocrinologist every six months for the hormones. Hope your son's most recent MRI is clear. We live in Metro Detroit area and had all of his surgeries at Children's Hosp, our surgeon is Dr. Sandeep Sood. He is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberely-
    This must have been so stressful for you and your family. I'm so glad Liam is ok!

    ReplyDelete