Thursday 17 March 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day!

My kids love this holiday.  Maybe it is because our family heritage is Irish or maybe it is because they love mashed potatoes but St. Patty's Day in our house never gets forgotten.  I will forever be grateful for not only my Irish heritage but the spiritual heritage that my Irish ancestors have passed down.  My grandmother, who was born in Ireland and who is now with Jesus, has been and always will be an amazing example to me, of the influence that a wife and mother, who is a strong faithful follower of Jesus can be on her family. She taught me so much about serving, not only her husband and her children but about serving others.  She was never rich in a wordly way, but she was a living example to me of the scripture from Matthew to "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven...".  I wish my kids could have sat around the table at her house as she served dinner, or been the recipient of many treats that she loved to make her grandkids, or attended church with her and heard her sing off key to Jesus with all her heart.  She was one of kind and continues to leave a legacy even to my children who never met her.

I remember the following Irish blessing from my childhood.  I am not sure if it was on a needle point that she had made and hung in her house or if she said it to us.  Either way I have never forgotten it.

An Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


Happy St. Patty's Day Gram.  Miss you.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful Kimberley! I feel like I almost know your grama! xxoo

    ReplyDelete