Monday 7 March 2011

Getting Rid of Stuff

The last two weeks have been a busy time for a family as we prepare to put our house on the market to sell.  This is an important step in order for our family to move to Hamilton so we have spent much of the last two weeks cleaning, purging, re-organizing, cleaning and purging some more!  This has been a big job as we have a large family and so if everyone just has a little bit then it all adds up to a lot of work.   I have been surprised at how much stuff we have accumulated over the past six years and how easy it has been to part with a lot of it. It has made me wonder why we thought we needed it in the first place.   Since the days have been exhausting, I am determined to make sure that we do not make the same mistake in Hamilton.  Jason and I have already promised each other that we are going to make even more of a concerted effort to not accumulate and that from now on twice a year we have a purge weekend.  So how do you keep the stuff at bay?  We thought over the past couple of years that we had made great strides in the area but clearly we need a better plan.  Any pieces of advice, or great tips and ideas as we move forward? 

3 comments:

  1. I know what your going through! You should check out my blog on letting go of "things". Maybe you'll be inspired to post one of your own items. http://personal-affects.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually get to purging stuff during "spring-cleaning". Right now my biggest tasks are the home filing cabinet which has files stored in bags stuffed under the bed and elsewhere. I need to get in there and shred most of it and only keep the last 12 months of stuff (aside from tax returns). Then there's the closet, getting my husband to part with clothing he hasn't worn since the day I met him is a real battle. Most of them are in good condition but I won't be caught dead with him if he wears any of it. Those hip-hop style denim suits just wont look right on a 50 year old man... just saying! LOL.

    Sometimes I feel like a hoarder when I look at the task I have before me... sigh... I really need a kick in the shins to get going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments ladies. I have to admit that although this whole process has been exhausting, I am happy to get rid of some of the clutter. The idea to post and item or two that I couldn't get rid of is a good one. We have had some wonderful walks down memory lane this week as we have been packing.

    ReplyDelete