Thursday 17 May 2007

Mothers of Nobility


I have been thinking a lot lately about being a Mom and about how God has brought our family together. Maybe it is because Mother's Day was last Sunday. Maybe it is because it is this time of year that all my kids have birthdays and I have been thinking that they are growing up too fast. Maybe it is because Pastor Jim spoke a great message on "Being a Mother of Nobility" this past Sunday. Maybe it is because at the end of his message I (along with some other moms) received the greatest gift from my kids that I could have ever gotten. Honestly, I am not sure if there was a dry eye in the room. (If you have a minute and want to listen to a great sermon check it out at http://www.thesanctuarymilton.com/. You can download the MP3 or listen to it from the website. Go to the Current Message Series tab.) Maybe it is because the follow-up questions at our homechurch last night were really hitting home with how God has created our family. Or maybe it is because God is trying to get my attention and He wants me to listen and respond to what He has to say.

I am so blessed to have the privilege of raising my children. God has taught me many things through each of them. He has expanded my concept of unconditional love. He enables me to parent them. He helps me to teach them about Him and His redeeming plan for their lives. He reminds me about things He has said to me through them. And He guides me in making choices for them.

Last night at home church, we talked about how many kids there are in Ontario and even in our region of Halton that do not have parents that are able to raise them safely. Over the last five years alone Halton CAS reports a 50% increase in referral rates to Children's Aid. These children are lost. They are a lost generation of kids. They live in our neighborhoods, they go to our schools, we see them playing at the park but do we really recognize how lost they are?

We as a society try to care for their physical and emotional needs. We take them out of unhealthy situations, we offer them counselling and place them with people that will care for them. The problem is that hearts can only be mended by the one who made them. Jesus is the only one who can save this generation of lost kids. Only the Lord knows that they are "fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139. He alone formed their inward parts and wove them in their mother's womb. He alone is intimately acquainted with all their ways. Psalm 139 also says, "Wonderful are your works and my soul knows it very well" (v14b). How will they know this if no one tells them?

A mother of nobility prays for her children. Who will pray for these children? Who will pray for these lost broken hearts? Who will pray that God changes our hearts to call us to parent them and tell them about the one who will love them with a love that they have never known? Please consider praying with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment