Friday 23 October 2009

Free Recipe Friday - Cream Soup Base Mix

Yikes it has been so crazy that I am just getting this post up now! I have seen several of these recipes on the Internet and in different cook books. I know that mine originally came from somewhere but over the last year I have tweaked and changed it so that I now can't remember where I found it. I find this more economical to use in casseroles than canned soups and for me it easy to keep on hand in the cupboard. Most of the recipes I have seen use the powdered bouillon right in the mix (about 1/4 cup) but I like adding my bouillon after so I can decide then if I want to use chicken, veggie or beef depending on what I am making and who is coming to dinner.

CREAM SOUP BASE MIX

2 cups of powdered milk
3/4 cups of cornstarch
2 tsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil

Mix and store in an airtight container.

To Use:

Combine 1/3 Cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cup of chicken or beef stock. (I use the liquid bullion concentrate to make the stock) Cook over medium heat until the base begins to thicken. Now you can use this as your soup base for any soup or use it as you would a creamed can of soup in casseroles. Try some different dried spices if you want to change it up or if you have a specific casserole in mind that you would like to use it for.

Enjoy and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment