Friday 4 September 2009

Roasted or Unroasted Corn Salad

It is Day # 4 of our "Thirty Days of Almost Nothing" experiment and as we head into the long weekend I find it freeing that we are taking a break from consumerism. It is an odd and yet great feeling to not have the pressure of so many options. I will post more about my thoughts on that later once I have had a chance to process them more.

I have been out all day today for a fabulous family gathering at my parents house. We were visiting with my Aunt Nellie who is vacationing from Ireland and my Great Aunt Ag who is 104 years young! They both look wonderful and it was so great to see them and to be able to hug their necks! We really had a wonderful afternoon. I volunteered to bring a salad which is the same salad for which I promised yesterday that I would post the recipe.

I originally made this salad last week for a church gathering and so many people asked me for the recipe I wrote it down when I got home. Last week I didn't have a lot of time (what else is new?) and I needed to use what I had in my house as we had used up our budget for the week. So I looked up some recipes and of course I did not have all of the ingredients that each of them required. Therefore, in my usual fashion I made something up that fit what I had on hand. When I was making the recipe today I decided to do something a bit different and thus the recipe morphed again. So if you use this great budget friendly recipe feel free to try something different with it. It is kind of fun!

ROASTED OR UNROASTED CORN SALAD

Ingredients for the salad:

4 cups (500 mL) corn kernels (frozen kernels thawed & drained or cooked fresh)
2 cups (250 mL) red and/ or orange and/or yellow peppers, diced
2 green onion, finely chopped
½ cup (60 mL) chopped cilantro (use more or less depending on if you like it)

Ingredients for Roasting Option:

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic

Ingredients for the dressing:

2 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lime (or more if you love lime)
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp Lime Cordial (optional, I used the second time I made recipe)

Directions:


For the roasted corn option: heat a frying pan over med to high heat with the vegetable oil. Once heated add the minced garlic. Cook until fragrant about two minutes. Add your corn and cook until some of the corn gets brown or roasted. (See photo). Once roasted turn off the heat and set the corn aside. You can let the corn cool on its own if you have time. I didn’t so I stuck it in the freezer for five minutes. Once your corn is cool or if you are not roasting it, toss it together with the peppers and the green onion in a salad bowl. Mix together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over corn mixture just before serving, add cilantro and toss to coat evenly. (See photo)


Note: When I first did this recipe I did not roast the corn or add the Lime cordial. The salad tasted great and only took me about 10 minutes to make from start to finish. Today when I made the recipe I roasted the corn and it gave the salad a nuttier taste. The lime cordial also gave a bit sweetness to the dressing.

So there you have it. I great salad recipe that is super for lunches, dinners, and potlucks. This recipe feed my family of six, and six other adults today as a side dish. If you are feeding a larger crowd just double the recipe. Enjoy and check back soon for more thoughts on our family's experiment.

1 comment: